Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The great debate...No, not the Presidential kind

I often come to a place where I feel this blog won't benefit anyone. I don't talk much about my little family, well not until recently. Now I realize a lot of what is happening in our journey DOES need to be discussed. Perhaps, I can give a little more info to a parent who is just beginning this path with their child. I don't know. So I've debated. And debated.

And debated until I wanted to scream.

Image courtesy of David Castillo Dominici @freedigitalphotos.net

Okay, we know that's not me but I did debate pretty hard with myself. Would keeping this work up prove to be fruitful? Would I have time to write really inspirational posts that made one ponder their existence in this crazy life? I still don't have the answers to these just as much as I haven't come to an actual conclusion as to what I want to do.

But this isn't about me. I mean, yes, this blog is the personal accounts of a mother with a transgender child, but this isn't about ME. This is about happiness and unconditional love. It's about supporting a daughter who shows me every. single. moment that bravery comes in many forms. Some being a young as a child. It's about the adults who are still trying to find acceptance within their own families and within their own relationships because for some reason, our society can't see past genitals to get that gender identity and fluidity is a very real thing. 

I fight for my child and I've been asked "How can you love your child being this way?" I'm not the only one who gets asked this and that again is why this needs to continue. 

If there are still people who can't understand that there should never be stipulations on the love you have for your child, my work isn't done. You were blessed with your child. The moment you forget that because of their sexual orientation or gender identity, is the moment you should re-evaluate the definition of parent. 

So, while I haven't made a final choice on if this will an ongoing blog for the years to come, for now, I'll keep on writing. Maybe, just maybe, I'll reach someone. 


By the way, 

Parent: (noun, par-ent)

1. One that begets or brings forth offspring
2. A person who brings up and cares for another


This is how I parent. With strength, respect, and most of all, unconditional love.




No comments: