Wednesday, October 14, 2015

A change in direction

Hello readers and supporters,

I want to first start this post with a big thank you to all of you who have come along this journey with me as I grew as a mother to my daughter, Trinity. Bein gthe parent of a transgender child can be difficult at times, but also so very rewarding. Our children, whether they be gay, straight, trans, or somewhere in between are still our children and it is our purpose to love them unconditionally. My daughter taught our whole family the meaning of courage and bravery. Of living true to herself rather than conform to what society thinks she should be. As her mother, I had to make a choice on how I would embrace her. I could have disowned her, treated her as an outcast or abomination. In my ethnic culture, not all, but many, that would have been seen as the right thing to do. However, I chose other. I chose love. I chose acceptance.

As a person of color and parent to a transgender child, she and I are both extreme minorities. The rate of discrimination is even higher among trans people of color and acceptance within their families are exceptionally low. This shouldn't be a case. As a Black woman and mother, I know my ancestor's history. When we had our children snatched from us to be sold off. When we suffered through beatings and humility at the hands of others. We still struggle as a class in the country and still lose our children to violence at a higher rate than other groups. Family is all we tend to have and yet, we are quick to push them away if they are not what we were hoping of them. Why is this? Gender and sexual identity are not for us to pick and choose and assign. However, it is for us to accept and love. I refused to turn my back on my child when she came out to me because what message would that send her? You're only good to me when you're not transgender. That's the message. Yes, perhaps this is easier for me because I am not a Christian woman, but from what I recall from my many times in Sunday school is that love is the answer. Not judgement.

This world is already going to be a crapfest for my children. As young, black members growing up in a still high racially divided country, family, their parents are going to need to be their foundation so they can stand strong against adversity. My transgender daughter, no wait...my DAUGHTER knows not to fear because we got her back. We're family.

I'm going to end this post and hope you'll all join my upcoming blog where I write our journey in story format (I am an author, you know) at http://blackorchidfieldofthorns.blogspot.com/ and maybe even share this post and this blog before it's gone.

My final words to everyone is love has no racial ties. Everyone has the ability to do it. Don't allow race or culture or religion keep you from opening your heart to anyone. Gender or sexuality does not change a person's soul. Don't let hate and bigotry destroy yours.


1 comments:

Maiasaura WinterHeart said...

Hey there, I'm still around (from MDC) and now and then keeping up with you. Hope all is well in your world. Happy holidays! I can't believe how our children have grown. Mine's almost 15, yowsa. Stay strong, mama <3