Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Not everything IS a transgender issue

This is a vent post because I am absolutely tired of family believing that everything that I talk about with Trinity is because she is transgender. It's not. If I ask them how to deal with 7 year old tantrums (yeah, they happen. I had them myself), the last thing I want to hear is that it's because she's having trouble dealing with her confusions. Ugh! I can't take it! Think about it, if she had say, diabetes, would the first answer to my tantrum question be, "Oh, it's probably because of the diabetes causing her to be angry."? NO IT WOULD NOT! So stop making her real problems of growing up be simplified as a trans problem. That's like saying a woman is crying because she's pms'ing. Maybe she's crying because she's actually upset.

So here is my list of what not to say the parent of a transgender child:

1.  He/she are only acting that way because of their confusions. First off, transgender people are not confused because they already KNOW who they are. You mean "you're only acting this way because of YOUR confusions."

2. He/she need religion to set them straight. You need to remember 'judge not, lest ye be judged.'

3. He/she just wants attention. Well, I'm a parent, should I neglect my child?

4. The child is getting too much control. Or they're getting a mother's unconditional love.


I'm sure more can be added, but those are the ones I've heard the most and to be honest, I'm tired of it. Think before we speak huh?

1 comments:

LionessMom said...

your daughter is so lucky to have a mom like you!